Risk & Controls Consultant - Financial Controls Team (SOX)
A more challenging role
An excellent and challenging opportunity has arisen for an interim role in Nationwide's Financial Controls Team (FCT). The Team's main purpose is to monitor, address and report on the strength of the financial control framework operated throughout Nationwide Building Society. To assist in improving this framework, the Team are responsible for implementing, monitoring, and managing the newly approved Enhanced Financial Control Framework (EFCF). The EFCF has been derived from Sarbanes Oxley Best Practice, and is designed to help ensure that Nationwide operates a comprehensive governance and control framework which provides assurance that key controls are in place, and operating as intended, over key processes and sub processes feeding into the Financial Statements.
The key responsibilities of the role are:-
- Working with Internal and External Partners to play a key role in the phased implementation of the EFCF;
- Ensuring that work undertaken on the EFCF is effectively co-ordinated with the Compliance and Monitoring activities undertaken by the FCT;
- Working with key Business Partners to design, review and test key process, sub process and control documentation;
- Ensuring Management buy in and continued support to the EFCF;
- Working to develop Monitoring and Compliance processes that complement, and react to the EFCF;
- Understand the changing internal control environment, and how current Industry Best Practice can be applied within NBS.
A more talented person
The following skill sets are required for the role:-
- You will either be a qualified, or recently qualified accountant, or have extensive experience in a risk and controls environment;
- Implementation of a SOX Controls framework, especially in a Financial Services environment would be advantageous;
- Knowledge and understanding of the importance of robust control frameworks;
- Can clearly articulate and document risk and control issues across a wide range of business areas;
- Can work effectively at all levels across the organisation, ensuring synergies are incorporated into existing and new processes;
- Ability to effectively communicate at all levels across business areas, ensuring both buy in to FCT's objectives, and also effective, efficient and timely resolution of issues identified;
- Flexible to the changing needs of the organisation, with the ability and desire to continuously improve relevant processes, systems and controls;
- People skills with a keen sense of the importance of customer service for users in the business and management;
- Team player, working together with colleagues and cover in periods of resource pressure;
- The ability to work to tight deadlines, organise own work and to prioritise;
- Commitment to continuous improvement.
An employer you're proud of
Our mutual status means we're here to benefit customers, not shareholders. Our commitment to customers, not shareholders, has always been what sets us apart from our competitors. And now, more than ever, our reputation for being open, honest and trustworthy is helping us go from strength to strength. In fact, it's made us the world's biggest building society as well as a major local employer. Underpinning it all is a commercial operation that never stands still. We're always thinking ahead, aiming higher and sharpening our competitive edge. That's why we invest in people who are not only proud of what we stand for, but who also have the talent and drive to boost our performance still further.
The rewards you deserve
If you put a lot in, it's only fair you should get a lot out. Help us continue to offer customers the best possible experience, and we'll give you all the support, recognition and rewards you deserve. As well as a great working environment and plenty of scope for development and growth, you can expect a generous package that includes pension, life assurance, healthcare and bonus scheme.