Directorate: Finance and Corporate Services
Team: Financial Accounting
Under the direction of the Financial Accounting Manager, the Financial Accountant is a key member of the Finance team providing exemplar financial services, ensuring that our accounts are compiled in full accordance with Accounting Standards, Financial Reporting Manual (FReM) and policies. The role is critical in ensuring the efficiency and effectiveness of all business processes incorporated within the team.
This person is a key part of the Finance team and one of the lead technical accounting experts in NRW, having a thorough knowledge of FReM and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs) and delivers the Annual Accounts and Whole of Government Accounts for NRW.
Job Specific Criteria
- At least 4 years’ experience working within Finance environment is essential.
- Experience of being responsible for the successful compilation of the annual accounts is essential.
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of the Financial Reporting Manual (FReM) and Accounting standards is desirable.
- It is also desirable for the Post Holder to be a qualified accountant. Having an accounting technician qualification and / or working towards a professional accounting qualification is essential for this post.
- Excellent organisational, communication and inter-personal skills with the ability to work under pressure using your own initiative in order to meet tight deadlines is essential.
- Excellent understanding of using an accounting software package and other software/ applications to meet the requirements of the role and the ability to implement them is essential.
- Agree a personal delivery plan and report to your line manager on progress no less than twice a year.
- Exercise good judgement and be willing to be held to account for decisions, actions and choices made personally and by staff for whom you are responsible.
- Act as a role model of organisational values:
- Show exemplary behaviours of honesty, integrity and ethics.
- Challenge others when they fail to act as role models.
- Combine confidence and resilience with humility and a willingness to learn.
This post is responsible for:
- leading in the provision of technical accounting advice in NRW, by having a thorough knowledge of FReM and IFRSs;
- delivery of effective financial controls throughout the year;
- the production the Interim, Annual and Whole of Government Accounts.
Job Advert Information
Contract type: permanent.
Work pattern: full-time appointment of 37 hours a week Monday to Friday
Grade / Salary: £33,083.
This role will be subject to a forthcoming Job Evaluation exercise and this may result in a change to the salary.
Application closing date: 4 June 2017
For further details and information on how to apply please visit our website at
If you have any queries please contact:
Yvonne Thomas 03000 654929 or email Yvonne.Thomas@cyfoethnaturiolcymru.gov.uk
Before applying for this position, please ensure you read the Candidate Guidance.
CVs are not accepted.