Data Protection Officer
Data Protection Officer – Bracknell
We have an opportunity for an experienced Data Manager to join a global brand based in Bracknell, as the Data Protection Officer/Manager (DPO/M) responsible for ensuring compliance with GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) requirements across the European region.
Reporting to the Head of European Risk & Compliance the data protection manager is expected to fully grasp the complexity of data management and the legal requirements surrounding it across all European operations. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of databases and data analysis procedures. You will also be tech-savvy and possess excellent troubleshooting skills.
The goal is to ensure that information flows timely and securely to and from the organization as well as within.
- This role has responsibilities to create and enforce European Region policies for effective data management to ensure compliance with the legal regulatory framework of GDPR
- Serving as the point of contact between the company and external GDPR Supervisory Authorities and, in coordination with the organisation’s legal team, liaise with the national data protection authorities overseeing reporting to, and management of their registrations with, those authorities
- Advise; provide recommendations and future countermeasures to ensure related Business Risk is managed with effective policy management.
- In conjunction with Information Services (IS), chair GDPR Steering Committee and communicate to local Compliance Officers amendments to the GDPR regulations.
- Take ownership of, and leadership for, educating the business leaders and associates on their responsibilities and to define preventative and proactive process to be followed by the business to minimise risk.
- Define scope for conducting ongoing audits within the region to ensure compliance and address potential issues proactively.
- Lead response to data breaches liaising with the Risk Committee and the authorities (as required).
- Working with IS management, to include:
- formulate techniques for quality data collection to ensure adequacy, accuracy and legitimacy of data
- Create and implement efficient and secure procedures for data handling and analysis
- Establish rules and procedures for data sharing with upper management, external stakeholders etc.
- Monitor and analyse information and data systems and evaluate their performance to discover ways of enhancing them (new technologies, upgrades etc.)
- Assist with creating reports and data extraction when needed.
Qualifications, skills and experience required:
- Proven experience as data manager with clear understanding of GDPR and experience in complying the UK data protection legislation (e.g. DPA and PECR) and preferably exposure to and understanding of similar legislation around Europe
- Excellent understanding of data protection, administration and management functions (collection, analysis, distribution etc.)
- Familiarity with modern database and information system technologies
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word etc.)
- An analytical mindset with problem-solving skills
- BSc/BA in computer science or relevant field