Finance Manager – UK & Europe
Airways Aviation, Oxford, UK
Up to £50,000
Airways Aviation is a world leader in aviation training.
With more than 30 years of flight training experience, Airways Aviation is globally positioned to respond to the demand for outstanding pilot training and airline resourcing requirements.
We provide international airlines with access to exceptional crew. Our graduates have completed a rigorous training process, created in consultation with the industry, which develops the complete range of technical knowledge, skills and competencies. They are industry-ready and fully prepared for type training and the demands of operating an airliner.
We are committed to creating equal opportunities and reducing barriers to entering the pilot profession. We offer scholarships to potential aviators and encourage both domestic and international students to pursue their career goals to the highest level.
The Airways Aviation network is vast and our ambitions are global, but we always champion the individual. Our approach to pilot training is always student first. Accordingly, we are dedicated to small group teaching and our students’ success, because every single journey to the flight deck matters.
Working at Airways Aviation
Staff come from diverse social, cultural and educational backgrounds, with different personalities and experiences. It is our goal to embrace those differences and to allow each and every employee to develop their own individual style and apply it into the workplace at Airways Aviation.
Our global facilities are modern, spacious and equipped with the latest technology. They offer an exceptional student experience and a high-quality working environment. We live and breathe aviation and value those who share that passion. We’re obsessed with safety and quality, and seek to recruit those who lead in their respective fields.
For the right people, Airways Aviation provides endless opportunities to develop, grow and achieve. In short, we’ll help you fly even higher.
OVERVIEW AND OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The Finance Manager reports to the CFO and contributes to the overall success of the organisation by effectively managing the European finance function, inclusive of budget and forecast preparation, monthly management accounting currently for the UK, Spain, Montenegro and UAE operations. The incumbent operates as a high-quality business partner to the business.
The Finance Manager is responsible for the day to day operations of the finance department and will assist the CFO and General Manager Europe with the financial, resource and business management of Airways in accordance with Airways’ policies, legislative requirements and within budgetary constraints.
3. KEY RELATIONSHIPS
- General Manager Europe
- Outsourced Finance Partners
- Airways Academy Managers
- Airways Aviation Finance, Operations and Sales staff
4. KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Co-ordinate and manage the operations of the financial administration currently in the UK, Spain, Montenegro and the UAE.
- Manage the accounting function, using Xero and Spotlight consolidation accounting packages, including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll (including monitoring and reconciliation processes).
- Monitor and liaise with student administration regarding student account management.
- Ensure the timely and accurate preparation of compliance and statutory returns (PAYE and NIC, pension submissions, VAT returns etc.).
- Prepare consolidated monthly management accounts detailing any variances from the budget.
- Completing monthly P&L and cash flow forecasts.
- Completing monthly Balance Sheet reconciliations.
- Developing the systems and ensuring that the finance function is as efficient as possible.
- Prepare supporting information for audits, including liaising with internal and external auditors.
- Prepare the annual budget in conjunction with the GM and CFO.
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures and to ensure that staff and financial information is secure.
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
- Providing high quality management information assisting the senior managers to make informed business decisions.
- Involvement in weekly management meetings. Business Partnering support and cooperation with managers to identify efficient business practices and identifying areas of potential savings.
- Manage and lead (currently) one Accounts Assistant.
- Any other duties as assigned by the General Manager and CFO.
5. QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND PERSONAL QUALITIES
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum 5+ years qualified commercial experience working in an international Group environment
- Qualified Accountant (CIMA, ACCA, ACA)
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting and internal control principles
- Experience of preparing Group consolidations
- Ability to interpret and apply relevant legislation
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills to evaluate alternatives and provide recommendations on business issues
- Track record of improving internal systems providing efficiencies
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office (particularly Excel)
- Experience of managing and developing staff in remote locations
- Good communication, interpersonal and time management skills
- Highly motivated and energetic with a proactive attitude
- Proven ability to work to deadlines
- Able to work autonomously with the ability to supervise, monitor, meet daily, weekly and month end deadlines
- A high level of attention to detail is essential
- Ability to interact with clients, suppliers and staff at all levels
- Absolute discretion when dealing with confidential information
- Fluent English (spoken and written)
- Spanish (spoken and written would be advantageous but not a requirement)
6. GEOGRAPHICAL COVERAGE
- Europe – currently Spain and Montenegro
Commencement date As soon as possible 2017
Application process CV with covering letter addressing the criteria.