College Financial Controller
Can you be our new college management accountant?
With College Campuses at Ware and Broxbourne, Hertford Regional College is a vibrant, dynamic further education college with over 16,000 students across two campuses and two outreach centres, with ambitious growth and development targets. Our passion for supporting our community and inspiring our students is manifested in our focussed strategies, and we are working hard to make these visions a reality.
The college finance team requires a leader, to ensure it achieves its financial KPI’s and operates effective systems and processes to provide accurate and timely management information to support key decisions across all sites. We are working with Protocol and are looking to recruit an experienced Financial Controller. The pace and volume of change facing the Further Education sector is considerable and it is desirable that you have experience of working in the college, education or private training provider sectors. Reporting into the Deputy Principal Finance and Resources, this key post will lead the finance operation ensuring the small team runs effectively and efficiently. You will be a qualified accountant with at least 3 years PQE, and for the right candidate this role will be a springboard to future career progression and Director of Finance roles.
The key responsibilities are listed below.
- Line manage the Finance Team to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of the finance office. - This will include holding regular team meetings, carrying out performance reviews/staff appraisals, identifying training needs and action planning.
- Production of monthly management accounts and Key Performance Indicators for the college and subsidiary companies within tight deadlines
- Production of College and its Subsidiary Companies annual financial accounts liaising with Financial Statement Auditors
- Production of annual capital and revenue budgets for college and subsidiary companies.
- Production of 3 year financial plan and long term capital investment programme
- Development and maintenance of financial processes, systems and controls to meet the needs of the College and its subsidiary companies and required audit standards
- Preparation and submission of financial returns to external stakeholders
- Develop and implement the College’s Procurement Strategy and purchasing procedures in line with the College’s Financial Regulations and UK/EU legislation to ensure all expenditure delivers Value for Money
- To ensure a central procurement contracts register is in place and relevant staff are informed when contracts are due for renewal. Working with relevant budget holders to renew contracts
- Prepare and monitor rolling 12-month cashflow and advise on investment of surplus cash
- Identify and regularly review the risk register for the department / college, consider the likelihood and impact of their occurrence
- Work with the College’s insurance company to ensure all relevant risks are covered, appropriate record keeping, reporting and coordinate any claims.
- Develop and maintain finance regulations, procedures and systems documentation as required.
- Liaise with internal and external customers, for example: senior staff, budget holders, internal & external auditors, bank, Customs & Excise, Inland Revenue.
- To manage & control the budget of the Finance Department
- Provision of professional financial advice on all matters relating to financial policies and procedures. To support the training and understanding of budget holders on financial & procurement matters
- Deputise for Deputy Principal Finance and Resources.
The salary for this role is £55k but may be higher for an exceptional candidate.
If you feel you have the right knowledge and experience to undertake this post successfully please apply by emailing email@example.com and including:
- Your CV.
- A covering letter explaining your motivation for applying, your understating of the key priorities in the role and how you meet the key criteria outlined in the Job Description and Person Specification.
- Confirmation of any dates you are not available for interview.
Closing Date for Applications is 12 noon Monday 16th October. Interviews TBC.
For more information and for a confidential discussion about the role please contact Chloe Skillington 0115 9775531 or David Beynon 07970042334.