Underwriter / Mortgage Underwriter - Financial Services
Job Title: Underwriter
Salary: £28,000 - £35,000
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Overall Purpose of Job
The Underwriter is responsible for underwriting mortgage applications in accordance with the Lending policy, TCF principles and FCA responsible lending best practice. It is expected they will maintain a high level of relevant industry knowledge and apply the highest standards of risk based underwriting at all times. The relationship with other areas of the business is fundamental to the delivery of a seamless service to the client and the highest levels of proactive co-operation and approachability are expected.
- Underwrite and approve Residential and Buy to Let mortgage applications in accordance with the lending policy, TCF and responsible lending principles, and within authorised mandate. Recommend any cases outside mandate to the UTL /UTM and ensure all cases hold a robust documented rationale for the lending decision.
- To be responsible for all underwriting queries, resolution of issues and decisions in principle for new cases.
- Ensure all correspondence including references and valuations are in line with lending policy and the appropriate mortgage product.
- Represent Operations in ongoing UAT.
- Act fairly and reasonably in line with TCF and responsible lending principles in all dealings with intermediaries, solicitors and valuers.
- Ensure that all KFIs (including porting cases) produced are accurate and compliant
- Build a close working relationship with key areas of the business to enhance the process from a system, service and quality perspective.
- To work closely with NBA Buddy to support their ongoing development and increase their knowledge in their role, through effective coaching and feedback. To create an effective and efficient unit to maximise productivity whilst adhering to all quality and service measures.
- To comply with the Code of Business Ethics and ensure your responsibilities regarding the Prevention of Financial Crime (including money laundering, identification and reporting of fraud) are carried out effectively and in accordance with the Company's internal policies.
- Proactively keep up to date with human resource policy, external legislation, funding constraints, product criteria and underwriting criteria changes to ensure prudent underwriting.
- Adhere to the service standards as agreed with the Operations team.
- Ensure that all complaints are handled in line with the Complaints Handling Procedures. Identify improvements to performance and the process, working with managers and other areas of the business.
- Undertake ad-hoc project work as directed by Underwriting Technical Manager or Head of Lending. Flexibility to assist the wider business as and when required in other roles.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills
- Experience in Prime and Specialist lending as an Underwriter holding a mandate of £200k minimum for a minimum of 2 years.
- Ability to coach other members of the Operations Team.
- To act with integrity at all times and embrace the philosophy of treating our customers fairly.
- Detailed understanding of the mortgage intermediary market and related FCA permissions.
- Detailed understanding of organised fraud and measures/systems in place to avoid it.
- Able to demonstrate that they are proactive, hardworking, flexible and able to work under own initiative but also a team player.
- Demonstrate a full understanding of TCF, Responsible lending and regulatory knowledge applicable to the role. Able to prioritise effectively to manage multiple underwriting functions.
- Educated to at least GCSE level including Maths and English.
Other skills or qualifications that would be helpful
- Recent experience in Niche Buy to Let Lending, including HMOs, Light refurbishment and Multi Unit properties
- Second Charge lending
- CeMAP qualified
To apply for this role please select the APPLY button to send your CV and covering letter.
Candidates with the experience of; Underwriter, Independent Finance Adviser, Underwriting Consultant, Mortgage Underwriter, Financial Advisor, IFA, Insurance Underwriter, Independent Financial Adviser, IFA Adviser, Planning Adviser, Financial Consultant will be considered for this role.
Apply for Underwriter / Mortgage Underwriter - Financial Services
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly